Lincoln Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents are generally the result of someone doing something wrong – typically driving too fast, driving while distracted or impaired, being reckless or inattentive or ignoring some other safety regulation or rule of the road.
When a driver causes an accident through negligence, they should be held liable for your injuries, damages or financial losses they cause. Drivers are required to carry insurance for liability, but not all drivers carry enough and unfortunately some choose to flaunt the law and drive without any insurance at all. It can be hard to identify all of your damages and determine all potential sources of recovery without help from an experienced lawyer. Navigating the process of getting compensation for the injuries you have suffered in a car crash that is the fault of another driver can be confusing, time consuming and frustrating. Working with an experienced Lincoln car accident lawyer can help ease your mind during what is already a very stressful time. A knowledgeable and experienced attorney can help you understand your legal rights and work to get you the financial compensation you legally deserve.
What Should I Do If I Have Been in a Car Accident?
A car accident is a scary, stressful event. It can be helpful to be prepared ahead of time in the event that you, or a loved one, are involved in a crash. Here are some things to remember:
- Your health is most important. Do address your medical needs first and foremost. Get evaluated and get the medical treatment you need. Follow the advice that you get to achieve full recovery from your injuries.
- Call your insurance company and report the accident. Do not give a statement to the at-fault driver’s insurance. The at-fault driver’s insurance company may attempt to prove that you are partially or fully at fault so they can pay out as little as possible. Remember they are not working for you. Do not admit fault or agree to a written or recorded statement. Your local car crash attorney can deal with the at-fault driver’s insurance company for you.
- Keep careful track of your medical bills and any other expenses you have as a result of the accident. You may need to pay for things that you normally do yourself like home maintenance, yard work, child care, etc. You may be unable to work or unable to work as much or unable to do the type of work you did previously. You may have medical equipment costs like crutches or wheelchair or the cost of physical therapy or home health care. Recording all of these and any other costs will help your Lincoln injury lawyer seek full compensation for your losses related to the auto accident.
- Do not assume the other insurance company is asking for copies of your medical bills because they plan to pay them. They are just collecting information, not making plans to pay your bills. All your bills need to be paid on time – have them sent to your health insurance company as you normally would.
- Do not agree to sign anything or accept a cash settlement without consulting with an experienced attorney. You are very likely to have a more satisfactory settlement in the end if you allow a lawyer who knows how insurance companies work to handle your claim for you. Unfortunately, injured people are at a huge disadvantage when negotiating with insurance companies, because they typically lack experience valuing claims. Remember, the insurance adjusters goal is to pay you as little as they possibly can to resolve your claim.
What Damages Can I Recover Following an Auto Accident in Lincoln?
Damages following an auto accident may include things like:
- Property damage
- Lost wages or benefits
- Loss of future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Short-term or long-term care
- Loss of normal life or normal life expectancy
- Wrongful death if a loved one was lost as a result of the accident
Consult with a Lincoln attorney with car crash experience to discuss which areas of compensation may apply to your case.
Uninsured Driver – Now What?
Illinois requires every driver to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance to cover others in the event of an accident. But as we know, not every driver follows the law. And even those who do carry the minimum may not have enough to cover the losses you have suffered. Check with your own insurance agent to discuss the importance of carrying Uninsured / Underinsured coverage on your own auto policy. This coverage protects you and your loved ones in the event the other driver does not do the right thing.
However, even if the at fault driver is uninsured or underinsured, there may be other ways to hold them financially responsible. A personal injury lawyer in the area could discuss with you other options for compensation.
What Does It Cost to Hire a Lawyer in Lincoln for a Car Accident?
A personal injury lawyer will generally work on a contingency, which means they do not get paid for their services until your case has been settled and you have received financial compensation. Your local car wreck attorney could go over the contract with you so you will understand what the terms of the agreement are before you sign.
Car accident cases are often able to be settled out of court, but if not, our attorneys have the experience to see your case all the way through, including representing you in court if that becomes necessary.
Call An Experienced Lincoln Car Crash Attorney Today.
If you were involved in a vehicle wreck, speak with a Lincoln car accident lawyer with our firm. The initial consultation is always free to you. Call our office today and let us help you with your car accident claim.